As Budget 2018 announcements are underway by Minister Paschal Donohue in the Dail, here are a few changes that will be implemented:
- The economy will grow by 4.3 percent this year and 3.5 percent next year.
- A Rainy Day Fund is to be established in the coming year, with at least €1.5bn to be transferred to it from the Ireland Strategic Investment Fund.
- €1.83 billion euro will be spent on housing in 2018.
- 3,800 new social homes will be built next year while the Housing Assistance Payment scheme will also be increased by 149 million euro, supporting another 17,000 households.
- A €5 per week increase in all weekly social welfare payments will begin by March 2018.
- The Minister announced 800 extra Gardaí to be recruited in 2018.
- There will be an extra 50c on a pack of 20 cigarettes. This will bring the price of cigarettes in the most popular price category to €12.