dlr Libraries is delighted to announce that applications are now open for our work experience programme for Transition Year students.
The library has developed a programme which will offer the opportunity to observe what goes on behind the scenes in the busy and dynamic library service. Participants will explore all things Library – from stock management to customer service, event planning to online resources and will gain hands-on experience as they join the team in one of our library branches.
Who Should Apply?
The programme will appeal to students who:
- Have an interest in literature of any sort, including non-fiction, fiction, graphic novels, children’s works.
- Enjoy working with the public.
- Are curious about IT and the role it plays within a modern library service.
The library are particularly interested in students who are considering a career in libraries and would like to get a feel for what the job entails.
How Do I Apply?
- Online application forms are available to download here.
- Download, complete and return the form to us via email to email@example.com
- Incomplete forms will not be accepted, so please fill them in carefully!
- The deadline for applications is 5pm on Tuesday, 31 January 2023.
- They will let you know if you have been successful by Tuesday, 7 February 2023.
What Do I Need to Know?
- This programme has an extremely limited number of places.
- The library are unable to facilitate placements outside of the dates listed above.
- In the instance that the programme is oversubscribed, they will use a ballot system to select applicants. This will be weighted to ensure that applicants from a range of schools are selected.
When and Where Will I Be Working?
- Placements will take place from Monday, 6th March to Friday, 10th March 2023 inclusive.
- Placement hours are from 10am to 4pm.
- You must be available for the full five days of the placement.
- Students will have an introductory session in the LexIcon Library and Headquarters and will then be assigned to a library branch.
- While they will try to accommodate students’ preference of branch, applicants may be assigned to any one of the following branches: dlr LexIcon, Blackrock, Dalkey, Deansgrange and Dundrum.
What Will I Be Doing in the Library?
- You will learn about the various roles within dlr Library Service
- You will be offered an overview of the wide range of services that the libraries offer including stock management, event programming and online and e-services
- You will get an insight to the daily running of a library branch while ‘shadowing’ a member of staff.