Operation IRENE 2022 was launched on Tuesday, 31st May at Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Hall, by Chief Superintendent Matthew Nyland (DMR East)
This campaign has run for many years and is a targeted multi-agency operation to combat underage alcohol consumption and consumption of alcohol in public places throughout the Dublin Metropolitan Region and for us specifically in the Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown area, through the enforcement of legislation regulating the sale, supply, and consumption of alcohol as well as relevant public order legislation.
Operation IRENE involves An Garda Síochána working in conjunction with Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council and other stakeholders, to counter anti-social behaviour by engaging directed patrolling in the County’s public amenities, namely parks and seafronts. The Operation will focus on tackling the following:
- Public disorder
- The consumption of alcohol in public places
- The sale of alcohol to underage youths
- Litter pollution offences
- Public transport issues
- Water safety issues
- Traffic congestion
- And general crime in public amenities
- All key stakeholders were represented at the launch.
- An Garda Síochána will work closely in cooperation with Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council and other stakeholders to ensure the public’s peaceful enjoyment of the amenities.
- The Council provide a Lifeguard, Litter Warden, and Park Warden service.
- An Garda Síochána will reciprocate the cooperative effort with high visibility (overt) and covert policing through Operation IRENE.
- For the second year running, An Garda Síochána Mountain Bike Unit will be deployed for the duration of Operation IRENE also. This will provide a high visibility and accessible presence to the local community, members will engage with and provide reassurance to the public, prevent and detect crime.
- The Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council bye-laws will be enforced fully where offences are found.
- An Garda Síochána
- Dún LOperation IRENEaoghaire-Rathdown County Council
- Irish Rail
- Dublin Bus
- Go Ahead Ireland
- Coast Guard
- Local Residents Associations
- Local Businesses
- Local heritage attractions